A rich garlic soup from Cuba.
- Serves 4 – 6.
- ½ a bulb of garlic
- ½ a large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 stick of butter
- 6 cups of chicken, beef or vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1 piece of toast, cubed or torn, or a few croutons, per person
- 1 egg per person (optional)
- cream (optional)
- Split the garlic bulb into individual cloves and peek and mash them.
- Sauté the mashed garlic and onion slowly in a large saucepan using the butter until the onions are translucent, being careful not to let the garlic burn.
- Blend the mixture in a food processor or blender.
- Slowly add some broth to the mixture and keep blending until you have a smooth mixture.
- Return this mixture to a saucepan adding the rest of the broth and seasonings.
- For a creamier soup, cream can be used instead of part of all of the remaining broth.
- To serve, add the toast or croutons to each bowl, break a fresh egg into each bowl and then top with soup.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.