Flavor Paste Edit
- head of garlic
- 6 – 8 sun-dried tomatoes
- small handful of chopped almonds
- 2 dried pasilla or California chile peppers
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp allspice
- dash of nutmeg
- salt and black pepper
- ⅓ cup olive oil
The Soup Edit
- 2 quarts water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 – 3 medium potatoes cubed
- 1 butternut squash cubed
- large bunch fresh spinach chopped
- 10 – 12 (head) of roasted garlic cloves (same preparation as above)
- ½ tube of chorizo sausage
- ½ cups cubed pork loin, chicken or beef stew meat
- salt, black pepper, cumin, oregano, allspice to taste
- Dry roast the unpeeled cloves of garlic over low/medium heat on a dry, thick-bottomed skillet for fifteen minutes turning until all sides are slightly charred.
- Roughly chop the sun drieds and roast for a few minutes turning often until browned and smoking.
- Toast almonds on same skillet until golden brown.
- Cut open chile pods, take out seeds and toast on skillet pressing down with back of wooden spoon until chile started to bubble and smoke, flip and repeat.
- Rehydrate the chiles in warm water for ten minutes.
- Add all other ingredients to blender or Cuisineart.
- Add chiles and a little of the water and blend until nearly smooth.
- The soup:.
- In thick-bottomed stew pot, brown the meat in dash of olive oil over med/high heat.
- In the rendered fat, saute the onions until translucent.
- Add chorizo and saute until cooked.
- Add water, bring to a boil, add meat and roasted garlic cloves and reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and a few minutes later the squash.
- When potatoes are cooked, add spinach and simmer for a few minutes more.
- Serve in large bowls with grated parmesan and a dollop of sour cream.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.