Haitian pumpkin soup. (French Caribbean pumpkin, beef and rice soup)
- 1 lb salt beef
- 1½ lbs pumpkin, peeled & diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup milk
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¾ cup rice, washed (uncooked, not instant)
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 2 - 4 teaspoons butter
- In a saucepan, cover beef generously with water and boil over medium low heat, partially covered for 1 hour.
- Drain and chop beef into bite-sized pieces.
- In a saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil; add pumpkin, beef, onions, parsley, thyme, and 1 clove garlic.
- Simmer until pumpkin is tender (15 minutes).
- Discard parsley and thyme.
- Transfer pumpkin to food processor with ¼ cup stock and puree.
- Return to saucepan and heat through.
- Add milk, nutmeg, butter, and rice; cook until rice is tender (15–20 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper, and mix in remaining clove of garlic.
- Serve hot with a little butter in each bowl.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.