Stick to your ribs cooking, Cajun-style.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb cubed cooked ham
- Cook the onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in two tbsp of the oil in a dutch oven, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes.
- Remove shrimp mixture and reserve.
- Add last tbsp oil to the pan along with the rice and cook over med-high heat about ten minutes, until the rice is a light brown, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, Tabasco, and the bay leaf.
- Heat mixture to a boil then cover, reduce hear and simmer, about 15 – 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the reserved shrimp and also the ham.
- Cover and cook until heated through.
- Remove bay leaf, and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.