Description[edit | edit source]
Who says vegetables and hot pepper are expensive for affordable cooking? This countrified bread-based dish is great for appetizers or side dishes and delivers a crisp aroma with the bread, vegetables, and spices but authentic salsa occasionally works for this, too.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 12 slices from a long loaf of crusty French bread
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. minced cilantro
- ½ cup chopped plum tomatoes
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- ½ cup minced green peppers (bell, Jalapeño, or piri-piri), deseeded if desired
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 – 10 drops hot pepper sauce
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Brush each slice of bread with the oil and toast the bread slices on a cookie sheet in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and top each slice of bread with the bruschetta. Serve hot and plain.
Nutritional information[edit | edit source]
Per serving (1 slice):
- 117 Calories | 4g Fat | 0mg Cholesterol | 175mg Sodium | 17g Carbs | 1g Dietary Fiber | 1g Sugars | 3g Protein
- Diabetic exchanges: 1 Starch | 1 Monounsaturated Fat