- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1½ cups)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped (½ cup)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ lb red new potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks (1 cup)
- 1 cup canned plum tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup frozen soybeans (edamame)
- 1 small zucchini, chopped (1 cup)
- ½ cup cut green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 3 large leaves Swiss chard, green part only, cut crosswise into ½-inch-wide strips (2 cups)
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ cup dry ditalini pasta or any small pasta shape
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In medium Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and cook until onion is softened, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add broth and potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, soybeans, zucchini, green beans, chard and red pepper flakes if desired. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Stir in pasta, reduce heat to low and simmer until pasta is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.