- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 small zucchini, sliced ½-inch thick
- 1½ cups cooked black soybeans (if canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 4 tbsp shredded jack cheese
- 4 tsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 cups yellow corn tortilla chips
- hot sauce for garnish (optional)
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, jalapeño and garlic and cook, stirring often, until onion is slightly soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add broth, oregano, zucchini, soybeans and tomatoes.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is almost soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each serving with some cheese and cilantro if using; top with tortilla chips.
- Serve hot with hot sauce on the side.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.