- 3 1/4 cups creamy soynut butter
- 1 1/4 cups margarine
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 3 cups rice krispies cereal
- 24 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (2 bags)
- 24 oz. butterscotch chips (2 bags)
Melt soynut butter and margarine in a saucepan over medium low heat until margarine is melted and mixture is completely combined. In a large bowl, combine powdered sugar and rice krispies. Pour soynut butter mixture over the cereal mixture and blend with your hands. (Mixture will seem slightly dry, but when formed into balls, should stick together). Form into balls, no larger than 1-inch in diameter. Place on cookie sheets or in pans. Chill until firm.
Melt chocolate chips and butterscotch chips separately in double boilers and dip cold bon bons into melted chocolate or butterscotch with a spoon. Twirl until completely covered with the chocolate or butterscotch and place on wax paper covered cookie sheets. Allow coated bon bons to cool until chocolate is completely hardened Ð either at room temperature or in cooler. Can garnish by drizzling opposite melted chocolate or butterscotch on each.
Makes approximately 120 to 150 bon bons.
- Tip: If mixture seems too dry and cannot be formed into balls, add a little extra soynut butter and margarine that has been melted together in microwave. In fact, every other time I make this, it needs about 2/3 cup soynut butter and 1/4 cup margarine extra.
Hint: One 12-oz bag of chocolate chips should be adequate for covering 40-50 bon bons. It usually takes a little more butterscotch to cover the bon bons.
Per bon bon: 72 calories, 1.5 g protein (1.3 g soy protein), 8 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 53 mg sodium, 0.2 g dietary fiber.