It's a wonderful presentation, serve out of the pan with a salad for a complete dinner
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- serves 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 6 chicken thighs
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 x 7-ounce jar roasted diced pimentos with juice
- ½ teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 8 oz bottled clam juice
- ¾ cup chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- ¼ pound cleaned squid, bodies cut into ½-inch rings
- 18 large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 6 clams, scrubbed
- 6 mussels, debearded and scrubbed
- ¾ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat olive oil in heavy large pot.
- Add chopped bacon and cook about 6 minutes.
- Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to bacon drippings in pot and cook over medium heat until brown, about 7 minutes per side.
- Take out the chicken and set aside.
- Add onions, celery, and garlic to pot and saute until it begins to brown, 8 – 10 minutes.
- Stir in rice, pimentos, and saffron.
- Add clam juice and chicken stock to pot and bring mixture to simmer.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour rice mixture into baking dish.
- Arrange chicken, shrimp, squid, clams and mussels (in their shells) on top.
- Sprinkle with chopped bacon and peas.
- Cover and bake about 45 minutes, until rice is tender, chicken is cooked through, and clams and mussels have opened (discard any that don't open).
- Serve with lemon wedges to 6 ravenous diners.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.