Tomatoes Canned by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 4
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15½ ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup uncooked long-grain rice
- ½ cup chile sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess fat and transfer beef to a large pot over medium low heat. Stir in the onion, green bell pepper, tomatoes, water, rice, chile sauce, salt, brown sugar, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, and ground black pepper.
- Let this simmer from about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, then put into a 2-quart casserole dish. Press down firmly and sprinkle with the shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
- To lower fat content: Use low fat cheese.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.