Serves 4 to 6
- 2 pounds baby back spareribs
- 2 tablespoons fermented black beans (also called salted black beans)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- 1 small red chili pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- a few drops sesame oil
- 2 scallions (spring onion, green onion) cut into 3 - 4 pieces
- Cut apart the spareribs.
- Rinse the fermented black beans thoroughly and then mince (not rinsing the beans will make the taste too salty).
- Mash the beans together with the minced garlic and ginger, and the dark soy sauce.
- Set aside.
- Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat and add 2 tablespoons oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the spareribs and stir-fry until browned (4 to 5 minutes).
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, if needed.
- Add the chopped red chile and the mashed bean mixture.
- Stir-fry until aromatic.
- Add the spareribs back into the wok and mix with the bean mixture.
- Add the broth.
- Stir in the soy sauce and sugar.
- Turn down the heat and braise, covered, until the ribs are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and stir in a few drops of sesame oil.
- Serve garnished with the scallion.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.