Purchased from the O'Reilly Estate in Fort Worth, Texas in 1988. Marked as Bessie’s favorite biscotti “sells well at bake sales”. Notation indicates this came from a 1960’s Ladies Home Journal. Exact date unknown.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4-teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4-teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 egg
- 3/4-cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Toast pecans.
- Finely chop pecans and set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
- cream Sugar and softened butter together in a separate bowl until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract, orange zest, and egg to Sugar mixture.
- Add dry ingredients, including pecans, and fold in until thoroughly blended.
- On a cookie tray covered with waxed paper, form the dough into a 3-inch by 12-inch log.
- Remove the waxed paper and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Set aside to cool for ten minutes, then slice diagonally and place on the cookie sheet cut-side down.
- Bake for another 20 minutes at 300-degrees, then turn the oven off and leave the biscotti in the oven for one to two hours until crunchy.
Contributed by: Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.