- ½ cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon soda
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons lard
- ½ teaspoon clove
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Heat molasses to boiling-point.
- Add sugar, shortening, and milk.
- Mix and sift dry ingredients, and add to first mixture.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Toss one-fourth of mixture on a floured board and roll as thinly as possible; shape with a small round cutter, first dipped in flour.
- Place near together on a buttered sheet and bake in a moderate oven.
- Gather up the trimmings and roll with another portion of dough.
- During rolling, the bowl containing mixture should be kept in a cool place, or it will be necessary to add more flour to dough, which makes cookies hard rather than crisp and short.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.