- 1 cup margarine or butter
- 1½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup finely chopped blanched almonds (optional)
- blanched whole almonds (optional)
- Beat margarine or butter with a mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds or by hand.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- Beat in egg and flour.
- Add chopped almonds if using.
- Roll dough to ⅛ inch thickness on a lightly floured board and cut into shapes (windmills and Sinterklaas / Santa shapes are traditional but we also cut them into the children's initials).
- Decorate with whole almonds if using.
- Place one inch apart on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake in 350°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool 1 minute, transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.