Contributed by Judi M. Phelps
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into 8 pieces skinned, and trimmed of excess fat
- all purpose flour, for dusting the chicken
- 1½ to 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 small yellow onions, finely diced
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes or 8 oz can whole plum tomatoes preferably low sodium, drained and chopped
- 2 small bunches fresh spinach, about 1 lb, thoroughly washed stemmed, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- 3 whole cloves
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp good-quality curry powder
- salt to taste, optional
- ¼ cup skim milk
- Dust the chicken with the flour and using about half of the oil, lightly brown on both sides in a large skillet over medium heat.
- After the chicken is browned, remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, heat the rest of the oil and cook the onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach, garlic, spices, and salt, if desired, and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the milk and mix well.
- Place the vegetable mixture in a 3- or 4-quart ovenproof casserole dish, arrange the chicken pieces on top, cover tightly, and bake until the chicken is tender, 40 – 45 minutes.
Nutritional information Edit
For serving size: 2 pieces of Chicken:
- Calories 244 | protein 27 g | carbohydrates 8.1 g | fat 9.38g | sodium 161 mg
- Exchanges: 3 lean meats, 1½ vegetables
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.