Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 tb tamarind paste
- 2 c water
- 8 sm Boiling potatoes
- 1/4 c corn oil
- 1 md Onion; thinly sliced
- 2 ts Minced fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves; minced
- 1/2 ts Dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 ts ground turmeric
- 1/2 ts Ground cardamom
- 1/2 ts Ground fennel
- 1/2 ts cinnamon
- 1/4 ts Freshly ground pepper
- Dissolve tamarind paste in 1 cup water. Let stand 30 minutes. Strain. Boil potatoes until just tender.
- Cool completely, then peel. Using wooden skewer, pierce each Potato in 4 places.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add Onion and cook until crisp and lightly browned, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Add potatoes and brown well on all sides. Remove from skillet. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon oil from skillet.
- Add ginger and garlic and stir 1 minute. Stir in pepper flakes and turmeric. Blend in 2 tablespoons water.
- Mix in Onion. Add potatoes, tamarind liquid and remaining 14 tablespoons water.
- Stir in cardamom, fennel, cinnamon and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until sauce has thickened slightly, about 15 minutes. Season with salt.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.