- ½ medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices (2½ to 3 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced into ¼-inch slices and kept in cold water until ready to use
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 3 tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- When water boils, lightly salt water, then rutabaga, carrots and sweet potato slices and boil 5 minutes.
- Drain, reserving about ½ cup of cooking liquid.
- In dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric and cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add coriander and cumin seeds to mixture, then add drained sweet potatoes, rutabagas and carrots.
- Toss gently over heat 5 minutes.
- Pour ½ cup of reserved cooking liquid over vegetables, and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Cover and bake 1 hour.
- Remove cover.
- Scatter sunflower seeds over top and bake 10 minutes more.
- Serve warm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.