- 1 teacup moong dal with skin,
- 2 to 3 chopped green chillies,
- 2 tablespoons chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves,
- 2 teaspoons gram flour (besan),
- A pinch asafoetida,
- 1/4 teaspoon soda-bi-carb,
- 2 pinches Sugar (optional),
- 2 teaspoons oil,
- salt to taste
- Soak the moong dal in water for 3 to 4 hours. Then wash it very well.
- Blend the soaked dal in a blender with the green chillies and a little water.
- Add the fenugreek leaves, gram flour, asafoetida, soda bi-carb, Sugar, oil and salt and mix well.
- Pour a little batter at a time in a preheated waffle iron and bake until crisp. Repeat for the remaining batter.
- Serves hot with green chutney.
- Variation 1:
- moong dal and methi Dhoklas:
- Instead of soda bi-carb, use 1/2 teaspoon of fruit salt.
- At step 4, pour the batter immediately into a 225 or 250 mm. diameter well greased thali and steam for 5 minutes. Serve as above.
- Variation 2:
- moong dal and methi Pankis:
- Spread a little batter very thinly on a well-greased non-stick frying pan. Cook on both sides. Serve as above.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.