Spicy Potato and Pea Soup from the Public Health Cookbook -- original source of recipe, government resource licensed in the public domain
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons plain, nonfat yogurt
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle the garam masala, coriander and cumin over the potato mixture then gently toss to coat and cook an additional minute.
- Add the vegetable broth and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the peas and yogurt then season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes then serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.