Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook time: ½ hour
I love making multi-coloured gnocchi. Experiment by changing the spinach to beets or squash...use your imagination...
- 1 lb baking potatoes – peeled and cut into quarters
- 2¾ oz spinach
- 1 tsp water
- 3 tsp butter
- 1 small egg, beaten
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- fresh basil sprigs
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (if using a red or rose tomato sauce)
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water for 20 minutes.
- Drain well and press through a strainer into a bowl.
- Cook the spinach in 1-teaspoon water for 5 min, until wilted.
- Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Puree and stir into the potatoes.
- Add the butter, egg and half of the flour to the potato mixture, mixing well.
- Turn out onto a floured counter, gradually kneading in the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- With floured hands, roll the dough into thin ropes and cut off ¾ inch.
- Press the center of each dumpling with your finger, drawing it toward you to curl the sides of the gnocchi, alternatively follow the same procedure on the back of a fork.
- Cover and set aside to chill.
- Bring a pan of salted water to a boil and cook the gnocchi for 2 - 3 minutes, or until they rise to the top of the pan.
- Drain well and transfer to serving dishes.
- Spoon your favorite sauce over the top and mix sprinkling with Parmesan cheese (if using a red or rose tomato sauce).
- Garnish and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.