Pesto sauce and cannellini beans are popular in many Italian dishes. No one will know that this pesto sauce has three cups of spinach.
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 8 ounces of fettucine
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups fresh spinach, stems removed
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, stems removed
- ½ cup low-fat, low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 15-oz can of cannellini (white beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper
1.Cook pasta as directed on package. Drain and place in large mixing bowl.
2.In a blender, add olive oil, garlic, spinach, basil, parmesan cheese, and chicken broth. Mix well until leaves are blended.
3.Pour sauce over pasta. Mix until pasta is well coated.
4.Add beans and red bell pepper. Lightly toss and serve.
- Make extra pesto and freeze for later use. Need a quick side? Cook pasta or rice. Heat pesto sauce. Toss and serve.
- Use diced tomatoes instead of bell peppers. Try chickpeas instead of white beans.
- Fruits and Veggies Matter by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention -- public domain government resource