Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into small dice
- 3 green garlic, white part only, sliced very thin
- kosher salt
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 2 bunches fresh spinach, stems removed or 1½ pounds baby spinach
- black pepper in a mill
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chervil or 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons crème fraîche, stirred until fairly thin
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot set over medium-low heat, add the onion and green garlic and saute until limp and fragrant, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt, add the potato and saute 3 minutes.
- Pour in the water or stock, increase the heat to medium and simmer until the potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the parsley and the spinach, stir until the spinach is wilted and remove from the heat.
- Cover the pot and let rest 5 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender.
- Taste, correct for salt and season with several turns of black pepper.
- Add the chervil or tarragon and serve immediately, with a splash of crème fraîche, if using.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.