- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 eggs, (large)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp nutmeg, (optional)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- Cream shortening and sugar together at medium speed until well blended.
- Add eggs and flavorings, and beat at medium speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl before and after adding eggs and flavorings.
- Stir flour, nutmeg if desired, baking powder, baking soda and salt together to blend well; add, along with sour cream to creamy.
- Cover and refrigerate from 3 hours to overnight.
- Return dough to room temperature.
- Roll out on a lightly floured board to ¼" thick.
- Cut with a 2½ round cutter or an equivalent (see note below).
- Place dough on cookie sheets that have been sprayed with pan spray or lined aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove them to a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
Nutritive values for these cookies are based on the use of the 2½ round cutter and weight of a little over 1 ounce per cookie. You may use other cutters as long as the finished cookie weighs about 1 ounce per cookie, and you might even make a 2-ounce cookie and figure the nutritive value and exchanges as twice those for the smaller cookie. You may add flavorings other than vanilla and lemon; if add nuts, raisins and the like, however, you are altering the nutritive values and exchanges for each cookie.
Nutritional information Edit
- Food exchanges per serving: 1 starch/bread + 1 fat
- Calories: 108 | fat: 5g | cho: 15g | NA: 54 mg | cholesterol: 18 mg.