- 1 tbsp canola oil plus 1 tbsp vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 med celery stalks, diced
- 1 med potato, peeled and diced
- 2 med carrots, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- handful of celery leaves
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped OR 1 can diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 scallions, minced or sliced
- matzo balls
- Heat oil in a large soup pot.
- Add onion and celery and saute over moderate heat until golden.
- Add potato, carrots, vegetable broth, celery leaves, tomatoes and cumin.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables nearly tender.
- Add the cauliflower and continue to simmer for 10 minutes more or until crisp tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and allow the soup to stand off the heat for 2 hours or longer to develop flavor.
- Just before serving, heat soup and add cabbage, basil and scallions.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add more water if needed and adjust seasonings
- Serve with 3 to 4 matzo balls per bowl.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.