Makes 6 servings.
- 1½ pounds yellow squash
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 x 10¾-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1½ cups grated Cheddar cheese, divided
- Cut squash into ¼-inch slices.
- Combine squash, onion, salt and water in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 3 to 4 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine rice, soup, pimento, pepper and ¾ cup cheese in large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Gently stir in squash. Salt to taste.
- Spoon into buttered shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Bake at 375 °F for 20 minutes, or until bubbly hot.
- Sprinkle with remaining ¾ cup cheese and bake 5 minutes longer.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.