- 1 large fresh green mango, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 450 g / 1 lb fresh baby squid (calamari)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ a chili pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum (sweet pepper), sliced
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped mint
- 50 g / 2 oz dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- Prepare the squid by gripping the body with one hand and the head and tentacles with the other.
- Pull apart firmly.
- Cut the tentacles away from the head, wash and finely chop 4 of them, reserving the remainder for another recipe.
- Discard the head, entrails and ink sac.
- Wash the bodies thoroughly, both inside and out, in cold running water, dry on kitchen paper then cut into bite size pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lime juice water, sugar, sauce and chili pepper.
- Set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, add the squid, bring back to the boil and cook, stirring for 2–3 minutes.
- Do not overcook.
- Drain the squid in a colander then place in a serving bowl together with the mango, capsicum and onion.
- Add the prepared lime juice mixture together with the mint and peanuts and mix well.
- Serve immediately as a starter or salad to accompany main dishes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.