- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- 2 medium-sized portobello mushrooms (about 4-5" in diameter)
- Nonfat cooking spray
- 1/2 cup arugula or mixed salad greens
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup goat cheese or cheese of your choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Fresh oregano (optional)
2.Slice eggplant lengthwise, about 1/4-inch thick then cut each slice crosswise in half.
3.Remove stems from portobello mushrooms then wipe the smooth surface of the mushroom with a paper towel to remove any excess soil.
4.Spray a cookie sheet with nonfat cooking spray. Place eggplant pieces and mushrooms (gill-side up) on the sheet then lightly spray vegetables with cooking spray. Broil about 5 inches or 2nd to the top shelf level of the oven from the broiler for about 7-10 minutes or until eggplant starts turning golden brown.
5.Remove roasted vegetables from oven. Place the portobellos, gill-side up on salad plates. Add a layer of arugula or greens then a slice of tomato. Spread 1 tablespoon of the goat cheese on the tomato then add an eggplant slice. Repeat starting with the arugula or greens 3 more times.
6.Drizzle each stack each with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar then sprinkle with desired amount of fresh oregano.
- Stacked Vegetable Salad from the Public Domain Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health -- original source of recipe, public domain government resource