- 2¾ cup water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1¼ cup brown rice
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 x 28-oz cans peeled tomatoes, chopped with juice
- 1 x 16 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp hot red pepper sauce, or to taste
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring cups water, the oil, and salt to a boil over high heat.
- Add the brown rice, reduce the heat to low, and simmer covered for about 50 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- Drain the rice if necessary, and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large nonstick skillet, cook the ground turkey, chopped onion, and garlic over medium heat for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the turkey loses its pink color.
- Stir in the tomatoes and their juice, tomato sauce, hot pepper sauce, oregano, and black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook, uncovered, for about 45 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked brown rice, simmer an additional 5 minutes, and serve immediately.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving: calories: 225, protein: 25 g, carbohydrates: 28 g, fat: 2 g, cholesterol: 58 mg, sodium 700 mg, fiber: 4 g, 8 percent calories from fat.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.