- 450 g / 1 lb black beans, pre-soaked overnight and drained
- 1 whole onion, peeled
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Place the beans and the whole onion in a large saucepan, cover with 5 cm / 2-inches of water.
- Boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour checking the water level every 20 minutes, stirring and topping up as necessary.
- Do not add any salt.
- Add the cumin, chilli powder and oregano mix well and continue to simmer for a further hour once again.
- Add the honey and lime juice, mix well and simmer for another hour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the spring onions, coriander, and garlic power and sauté for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture to the beans together with the salt and soy sauce, mix well and simmer for a further hour.
- Adjust the seasoning adding more salt, lemon juice, soy sauce and other spices to taste.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.