- Serves 4 to 6
- Cooking time: 1½ hours
- 1 frying chicken
- ½ cup cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- garlic powder to taste
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, quartered
- pinch rosemary
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- ¼ pound mushrooms
- Season chicken with lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and a little watts to moisten.
- Place in a large saucepan and add rosemary.
- Cook gently for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil.
- Brown chicken on each side in oil.
- Remove chicken, strain oil, and wash skillet.
- Return oil to skillet and lightly brown flour, then stir in sliced onions, to make gravy.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining vegetables.
- Add water and pour gravy over browned chicken.
- Cover and cook slowly for 30 minutes.
- Stir once or twice.
- Stew is ready when oil begins to form on top and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.