Four layer cake---and between the layers is whipped cream and strawberries, really pretty cake.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 12 servings.
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 2 quarts strawberries
- ¼ cup strawberry jelly, melted
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Coat the bottoms of 2 round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Line with wax paper, coat paper.
- In a bowl, whisk first 4 ingredients.
- In 2nd bowl, whisk oil, egg yolks, ½ cup cold water, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Let sit 3 minutes then stir oil mixture into flour mixture until blended. Set aside.
- In bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy then beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold one third of the whites into flour mixture, then fold in remaining whites.
- Divide batter between pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until done.
- Invert cakes from pans.
- Remove wax paper, return to right side up.
- Slice one of the cake layers in half, repeat with second layer.
- Slice 6 cups of the berries and toss in a bowl with 2 tbsp jelly.
- Place one cake layer on pedestal.
- Top with 1½ cups of the filling.
- Combine gelatin and 2 tbs cool water in a bowl. Let stand 3 minutes.
- Microwave on high 15 seconds or until melted.
- Stir until smooth and then cool slightly.
- Combine cream cheese and sugar in a bowl.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add cream continue to beat until very foamy.
- Add gelatin, continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Use immediately to fill layers of cake.
- Layer with ¾ cup sliced berries.
- Repeat twice more, then top with final cake layer.
- Cut remaining berries in half.
- Toss with remaining jelly.
- Spread remaining filling on top of cake.
- Top with strawberries and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.