Yield: 8 servings.
- 6 cups whole fresh California strawberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 frozen pound cake (11½ ounces), defrosted
- 1 can (7 ounces) refrigerated whipped light cream
- Early in the day or the day before, prepare strawberry ice: in blender, whirl berries smooth.
- Add sugar and liqueur; whirl again to dissolve.
- Pour into deer back pan (10 x 4 x 2 inches) or loaf pan (9 x 5 x 2¾ inches) and freeze until almost firm.
- Cut cake into 6 slices.
- Arrange evenly over strawberry ice.
- Return to freezer for at least one hour.
- Then unmold strawberry ice onto serving plate by loosening along edges with knife; touch bottom of pan in hot water for 10 seconds.
- (if melting occurs, place dessert in freezer for 10 minutes.
- ) "frost" entire cake with whipped light cream.
- Return to freezer for an hour, or cut and serve at once.
- Note: for ease in cutting remove from freezer 20 minutes before serving.
- Substitute: 2 packages (10 oz each) frozen sliced California strawberries with sugar and omit ¾ cup sugar.
- Thaw just enough to chop.
- Whirl in blender, and proceed as directed above.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.