- 2 cups rhubarb, sliced (rhubarb can be fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup grape juice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- ¼ tsp nutmeg, ground
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced (use fresh strawberries)
- ½ cup strawberry fruit spread
- 1 cup rhubarb, sliced
- 2 pie crusts
- ¼ cup strawberry fruit spread
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- Stand 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 °F.
- Combine rhubarb and grape juice in medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, until rhubarb is tender, 8–10 minutes for fresh or 5 minutes for frozen; drain.
- Combine cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in medium bowl; mix well.
- Add strawberries; toss to coat.
- Stir in cooked rhubarb and fruit spread.
- Stir in uncooked rhubarb.
- Roll out 1 pie crust to 11" circle and line 9" pie plate with it.
- Trim pastry and flute edges, sealing to edge of pie plate.
- Fill shell with fruit mixture and dot with fruit spread.
- Roll out remaining pastry to 10" circle.
- Cut into ½" strips.
- Form into lattice design over fruit.
- Combine egg yolk and sour cream until well-blended.
- Brush over pastry.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 350 °F.
- Continue baking 30 minutes, until pastry is golden brown and filling is hot and bubbly.
- Pie may be covered loosely with foil during last 30 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information Edit
Per slice: 355 calories, 3 gm protein, 51 gm carbohydrate, 16 gm fat, 40% of calories from fat, 42 mg cholesterol, 283 mg sodium, 1½ diabetic starch/bread exchange, 3 diabetic fat exchange, 1¾ diabetic fruit exchange.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.