- 2¼ pounds rhubarb, trimmed, sliced
- 2½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1½ cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, minced
- In a non-aluminum saucepan, combine the rhubarb, the sugar, the vanilla extract and the water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- The rhubarb should be very tender and falling apart.
- Carefully transfer the rhubarb to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- You may need to do this in batches and begin by pulsing or flicking the on and off switch of the blender.
- Transfer the rhubarb puree to a bowl.
- Add the strawberries and orange juice to the processor or blender and pulse or blend until smooth.
- Combine the strawberries with the rhubarb.
- Chill the mixture in a refrigerator until thoroughly cool.
- This may be done overnight.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Add the mint while the mixture is freezing.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer for at least four hours or overnight before using.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.