- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 – 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped fine
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon (optional)
- 2 – 3 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 cup cooked rice
- ¼ cup yellow split peas
- 1 head cabbage
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup cream or sour cream (optional)
- Cook the onions in 2 tablespoons of the butter until golden.
- Add the ground beef and cook until brown.
- Reduce heat and add the lemon juice, sugar, pepper and salt.
- Mix the tomato paste with the warm water then add to the meat mixture.
- Add half of the beef broth.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Saute parsley, scallions, dill, tarragon and mint in 2 tbsp of butter and add to the meat.
- Stir and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice.
- Boil the yellow split peas in 1 cup salted water for 15 minutes, drain then add to the mixture.
Cabbage leaves Edit
- Separate cabbage leaves from the main stem and drop into boiling salted water.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain but be careful not to break or tear them.
- Spread the leaves flat,one at a time and fill the center of each leaf with 2 or 3 tablespoons of filling.
- Fold over the edges of the leaves and roll from the stem end toward the top of the leaf.
- If you need to you may remove the tough stems with a knife.
- When you use the smaller leaves 2 or 3 can be overlapped,filled and rolled up.
- Put the stuffed leaves in a baking dish.
- Warm the remaining 1 tbsp of butter and the remaining half can of beef broth, stir in the tomato sauce and pour over the stuffed cabbage.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Warm the cream or sour cream and spoon it over the cabbage before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.