Makes 8 servings.
- 1 large head green cabbage
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 x 14½-ounce can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 x 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- juice of 1 lemon
- Remove 12 large outer leaves from cabbage. Trim off thick part of each leaf. Add leaves and ½ teaspoon salt to boiling water.
- Allow to stand 5 minutes so they become pliable; drain.
- Combine ground beef, rice, onion, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and eggs. Place ½ cup of meat mixture in hollow of each leaf.
- Fold the sides of leaf over stuffing; roll up from the thick end of leaf to make a neat roll.
- Arrange cabbage rolls, seam side down, in a single layer in lightly greased shallow 3-quart baking dish.
- Combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, lemon juice, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper in saucepan; bring to a boil. Pour over cabbage rolls.
- Cover; bake at 375 °F for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer. Serve topped with sauce.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.