- 8 medium sized green peppers
- ½ lb ground beef (or 1 lb beef if you do not want to include pork)
- ½ lb ground pork
- 1 raw egg
- 1 cup washed rice
- 2 x 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes (or 3 or 4 lbs fresh peeled tomatoes)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp good Hungarian paprika (buy imported sweet)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar (do not omit)
- ¼ tsp black peppercorns
- 2 whole bay laurel leaves
- 1 cup water only if needed
- Cut off the tops of peppers and reserve.
- Take out the seeds.
- In mixing bowl, place the ground meat, raw egg, washed rice, salt and paprika.
- Mix well with clean hands.
- Stuff peppers, using all the meat mixture.
- If you have some left over, make a few balls.
- Set peppers up-right in cooking pot.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, onions and chopped tops of peppers over the peppers, toss in the black pepper corns and the bay leaves.
- Cover and slowly cook for about 1½ hours.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.