Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
- Makes: 4 stuffed peppers (4 servings)
- 4 medium green bell peppers
- ½ pound lean ground lamb
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cooked brown or white rice
- 1 x 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare an 8-inch square or round baking dish with non-stick pan spray.
- Cut a thin slice from the stem end of each pepper.
- Remove all the seeds and membranes.
- Partially cook the peppers in a large pot of boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, saute the ground lamb and the onion over medium-high heat about 5 minutes, until the lamb is browned and the onion is tender; drain off the fat.
- Stir in the rice, ½ cup of the tomato sauce, the garlic, salt, oregano, and pepper.
- Divide the mixture evenly to fill the peppers.
- Stand the peppers upright in the prepared baking dish and top them with the remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover the peppers with foil and bake for 40 minutes; uncover and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (1 stuffed pepper):
- Calories: 242 | Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 702mg | Carbohydrate: 25g | Dietary Fiber: 3g | Sugars: 7g | Protein: 15g
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Starch | 2 Vegetable | 1 Medium-Fat Meat | 1 Fat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.