Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Yield: 2 Servings
- From: Mix 'n Match Meals in Minutes for People with Diabetes
- ¾ lb thinly cut veal cutlets, fat trimmed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch arugula (1 cup), washed and patted dry
- 1 bunch basil (1 cup), washed and patted dry
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup dry vermouth
- ½ cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- wooden toothpicks
- Spread the veal out on a cutting board or counter-top and flatten with a meat mallet or bottom of a heavy skillet to ¼-inch thick.
- salt and pepper the veal pieces.
- Place a layer of arugula over the veal, making sure the surface is covered.
- Place a layer of basil leaves over the arugula.
- Roll up meat and fasten with a wooden toothpick.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet just large enough to hold the veal in one layer.
- Brown veal rolls on all sides, about * 3 minutes.
- Remove to a dish and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add vermouth to the skillet.
- Let reduce about 2 minutes,scraping up the brown bits as it cooks.
- Add broth.
- Let reduce again about 5 minutes.
- Return val to the sauce to let it warm through for a minute.
- If rolls are thick,warm for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove rolls and slice into 2-inch pieces.
- Place onplates with the sliced side up so that the colorful interior is shows.
- Spoon sauce over the top.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (½ recipe):
- 256 calories, 7g fat, 134 mg cholesterol, 197 mg sodium,
- 2g carbs, 1g dietary fiber, 0g sugars, 38g protein
- diabetic exchanges: 4 lean meat, ½ fat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.