Vegetables North Indian-style
- 1 lb fresh green beans cut into 1" lengths or any other vegetable like cauliflower florets, potatoes or carrots and peas
- 1" thick piece of ginger chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 2 medium tomatoes peeled (put tomatoes in very hot water for a few seconds, peel off the skin and finely chop)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Heat the oil in a wide, heavy saucepan over a medium flame.
- When hot, put in the cumin seeds.
- Stir for half a minute.
- Pour in the ginger-garlic.
- Stir and cook for about two minutes.
- Put in the coriander and stir a few times.
- Put in the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir and cook for 2 minutes while mashing the tomato pieces with the back of a slotted spoon.
- Put in the vegetables and salt and one cup of water and simmer them.
- Cover, turn heat to low and cook for 8 – 10 minutes or until the beans are tender and steamed and the water has been absorbed.
- Remove the cover.
- Add the lemon juice and a generous amounts of freshly ground pepper.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.