Ella was a neighbor who was ten years older than god when I was a child. She always had these in her cookie jar, and usually would bake a dozen every day since the dough keeps so well. It is one of my all time favorites and I have never tasted them anywhere else.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cream sugars and shortening.
- Add milk, vanilla and eggs and mix well.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- With floured hands roll teaspoonful of dough into a ball.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- With three fingers together, press ball flat, leaving ridges down the middle.
- Bake in 400°F oven for 9 to 12 minutes or until lightly gold.