- Makes 5 dozen
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, flaked
- 1 cup unsugared dates, chopped
- 4 tsp orange peel, fresh grated
- 1 cup pecans, finely ground
- Cream the butter, egg and vanilla together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time, to the creamed mixture, beating after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut, dates, orange peel, and ½ cup of the pecans.
- Stir into the cookie mixture.
- Divide the dough in half and form into two logs, approximately 1½ inches in diameter.
- Place the remaining ½ cup of pecans on a piece of waxed paper. Roll the logs in the nuts.
- Wrap each log in waxed paper and chill for 1 hour.
- To bake, slice the logs into ⅛ inch rounds and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.