Purchased from Patterson Estate in Tyler, Texas in 1992. Dated 1944. Another tried and true recipe, although my family prefers it with breasts and drumsticks, so I buy those two pieces of the Chicken.
- 4 pounds Chicken up Chicken
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ½ pound fresh Mushrooms
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in bowl or paper sack.
- Drop Chicken one or two pieces at time in flour mixture.
- Place in hot oil and brown on both sides for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove Chicken to plate.
- Add Onion, bell pepper and Mushrooms to oil and cook 5 minutes.
- Place Chicken back in pan and add tomatoes.
- Add water to cover and place lid on pan.
- Cook 45 minutes.
- Take 2 tablespoons of flour mixture and mix with 1/4 cold water.
- Bring Chicken back to boil and add flour and water mixture to stew gradually, stirring.
- Turn off heat and let set for 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
Contributed by Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.