- Serves 8
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1⅝ cups flour — sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups prunes — chopped
- Cream the butter and sugar smoothly together; add the egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the vanilla, then gradually the flour, which has been sifted with the baking powder.
- Add the chopped prunes.
- Beat continually.
- Whip 3 egg whites stiff with the salt and fold in.
- Pour into a buttered loaf or funnel pan.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350°F) 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Test for doneness.
- Use the other egg white to make a simple icing for the top; or use it in the cake recipe.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.