- ½ cup lukewarm water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 to 5 cups flour
- 1 tbsp anise seed
- ½ cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- and cheese
- Sprinkle the yeast over the lukewarm water; stir until the yeast is dissolved.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl with a fork until slightly beaten; add sugar, yeast mixture, salt, anise seed, butter, and 2 cups of flour.
- Beat with electric beater until well beaten and smooth.
- Stir in additional flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a well floured pastry board and knead until dough is soft and elastic.
- Do not add too much flour.
- Place in a greased bowl and cover with a damp warm cloth.
- Allow to rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down the dough and make a round loaf, smooth on top with the folded edges on the bottom of the loaf.
- Place in a deep round cake pan.
- Beat the egg yolk with the corn syrup and brush the top with a pastry brush.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 15 minutes or until done.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.