Sweet Onion Soup from the Public Health Cookbook -- original source of recipe, taken from government resource in the public domain
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serves: 8
- low fat cooking spray
- 1½ pounds sweet onion such as walla walla or Vidalia, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1½ teaspoons dried sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon non-fat sour cream (optional)
- chives, chopped (optional)
- Spray a large saucepan with low fat cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low then stir in sugar.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until onions start to caramelize.
- Stir in the flour and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, wine, sage and bay leaf.
- Heat to boiling then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with 1 tablespoon of nonfat sour cream and a sprinkling of chives.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.