Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Low fat cooking spray
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon nonfat sour cream (optional)
- Chives, chopped (optional)
1.Spray a large saucepan with low fat cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes.
2.Reduce heat to medium-low then stir in sugar. Cook for about 15 minutes or until onions start to caramelize. Stir in the flour and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
3.Add the broth, wine, sage and bay leaf. Heat to boiling then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
4.Serve in bowls with 1 tablespoon of nonfat sour cream and a sprinkling of chives.
- Sweet Onion Soup from the Public Health Cookbook -- original source of recipe, taken from government resource in the public domain