- 12 cup salted water
- 6 med sweet potatoes peeled/diced, about 3 lbs
- 1 lbs carrots
- ½ cup pitted prunes, halved
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 20 oz can pineapple chunks
- 1 cup mandarin orange piece drained.
- In a large pot bring water to a boil.
- Add potatoes and carrots and simmer; uncovered about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and mash.
- Place in greased 6 quart casserole with the prunes.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Combine orange juice, brown sugar and cinnamon pour over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake, covered for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and taste.
- If the tzimmes tastes sweet enough, dot with margarine or butter and bake, uncovered 15 minutes more.
- Otherwise add pineapple and oranges, then dot with butter or margarine and bake an additional 15 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.