- 4 medium size sweet potatoes
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1.Boil sweet potatoes in salted water for 30 to 40 minutes, until tender. Drain, cool, peel, and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
2.Arrange have of the sliced sweet potatoes and half of the sliced apples in a 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish.
3.Sprinkle with onion, brown sugar, and marjoram; dot with butter. Arrange remaining sweet potato and apple slices in the baking dish.
4.Combine water with lemon juice; pour over layer of sweet potatoes and apples. Sprinkle cheese over top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Fruit & Vegetable Recipes II by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource -- original source of recipe