Fruit and Vegetable Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 2 lbs fresh sweet potatoes
- 1½ lbs cooking apples
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- ½ cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Boil potatoes, cool, skin and slice ¼ inch thick.
- Peel apples, quarter, core and slice ¼ inch thick. While combining other ingredients, keep apples in fruit juice to prevent discoloration.
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar, margarine, cider, syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon and ginger to a boil. Reduce heat and cook mixture for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Drain apples well and pat dry. Arrange apples and sweet potatoes in a 9x13x2 inch casserole dish. Cover with sauce. Bake at 325 °F for 25 – 30 minutes, basting occasionally.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.